Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The best laid plans....

It was no secret that I wanted an all natural, intervention free birth.  That was my plan with Eleanor as well.  I was so hopeful that I would have the birth I dreamed of with my second baby.  Early on I found out the reason I had a c-section with Eleanor wasn't an issue.  My placenta was nice and high and posterior!  Oh happy day.  I began planning for my unmedicated birth.  With the birth of Teddy and watching my sister go through her hypnobirth, my commitment was renewed.  I started listening to relaxation tapes and I read the book.  I was convinced this was going to be my birth.  Then, I went into labor and the plan changed, drastically.

I started having contractions early Tuesday morning (November 16), nothing severe, just minor abdominal cramps.  Since I was soooo ready to give birth I paid attention to every little twinge of pain!  My day went as usual until about 2pm.  Then the contractions got a little stronger and closer together.  By the evening I was convinced I was in labor.  My sister and her family were on the way and so was my doula!

When Tiffany, my doula and best friend from college, arrived we went to walk the mall!  I was going to do all I could to help this baby find it's way out.  But, the contractions got farther apart.  So we went home to rest.  Everyone else rested for a while, I labored.  My contractions were about 10 minutes apart and getting a little closer.  Tiffany woke up around 2 am and we went for a quick walk outside, it was freezing but I was determined.  Finally the contractions started coming a little closer.  I wanted to relax so I took a warm shower and that seemed to speed the process up.  I went from 5-7 minutes to 3-4 quickly.  We packed up the car, passed Teddy off to Nick and headed to the hospital.

After being check, now at 3-4 cm dilated, it was decided that I would be admitted!  Yay!!  Baby time!!!  So for the next 6 hours or so I walked the halls, sat on the ball, sat in the rocking chair and anything else you can think of to speed up contractions.  Around 1pm, I'd had enough.  I was tired, not progressing and definitely a little disappointed in my body.  We, my nurse and wonderful support team and I, decided to allow the doctors to break my water and give me a shot of Nubain for the pain.  Hoping this would allow me to rest and speed up contractions, I was ok with this plan.  When they checked me I was only 4-5 cm dilated.  I'd dreamed of an intervention free birth but my body wasn't cooperating and I was getting anxious to meet my new baby.

Well, after two hours of much needed rest, I felt renewed.  I was up and roaming the halls again in no time.  My contractions were coming faster and getting stronger.  Again, I was getting excited for the big moment.  But....again they stalled.  I was literally at my wits end by 6:30 pm.  I couldn't take any more.  I was handling the pain but it seemed as though it was all for nothing and my body and my mind were exhausted.  At this point I was willing to do anything to help me have my baby.  This meant pitocin to assist with my contractions.  I knew that I wanted to enjoy my baby's birth.  I also knew if I didn't get the epidural, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the birth.  So, I opted for the pitocin and epidural.  I hated the idea of this though.  It was exactly what I'd planned to avoid.  However, given the circumstances I knew it was my only option.  So, around 8 pm I had the dreaded catheter placed and sweet relief followed.

I slept and relaxed for about two hours.  Then I felt pressure...pressure...really...could it be???  Yep, I was FINALLY complete and ready to push!  My baby was coming and I had the energy to help!  I pushed for about two hours and then my sweet baby boy was born.  I actually pulled him up to me.  He was so small and sweet.  Jonah Robert, weighing in at 7 lbs 11 ozs and 20.5 inches long, was born November 18 at 12:42 am.  I worked long and hard for my son and he was worth every unmedicated and medicated contraction, every push and every stitch I felt.  Although I didn't have an unmedicated birth, I had a successful VBAC and that was my main goal.  So...GO ME!!


The night before I delivered, last belly shot!


Getting a much needed massage from Tiffany


My sweet baby boy!


I was blessed to have the best support team, thank you ladies!


All cleaned up and ready to snuggle.

3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing and strong woman, Melissa! Congratulations on the beautiful new addition to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Missy! Hugs to the three of you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    You are truly an inspiration to all women. I am in awe how you have conducted yourself through so many trying times. I'm so glad that you have wonderful friends and family to help with your little ones. They are very lucky children. I hope to see you all again. Take care of yourself; I already know that you will take care of your babies. Happy days to you and yours.
    Congrats,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete