Thursday, February 11, 2010

Genius, simply genius...



....Bum Genius that is!  I simply LOVE using these cloth diapers.  I have become somewhat of a "green weenie" and try to do what I can do help the environment and decrease waste in landfills.  I was floored when I found out how long it takes one single disposable diaper to degrade.  I knew at that moment that I would use cloth diapers.

When I mentioned to people that I was going to use cloth diapers, they thought I was crazy.  I listened to the nay-sayers all the while knowing I was committed to this idea.  I had even planned to use a diaper service for the first few months or so, I'm talking prefolds, pins and covers.  I had NO idea what was in my future!  

I went to The Breastfeeding Center, a center for nursing mommies, and my eyes were opened to a whole new world of cloth diapers.  What??  No pins, all in one, pockets, one size fits all???  I was in my green weenie Heaven!  I chose two kinds-Bum Genius 3.0 and X-small Thirsties.  I liked the ease of the velcro, figured it would be good for the hubby who was NOT committed to this idea!  Being that Eleanor was a tiny little peanut the Bum Genius diapers didn't fit right at first so we used the Thirsties.  They worked great....well until she started peeing through them at night.  Not fun to change not only diapers but bed linens, her clothes and mine...since mostly at this time she was sleeping ON me!  It was time to switch to Bum Genius.

I have used these diapers since she was about 3 months old.  This is one of the best decisions I've made as a mother.  Eleanor has had diaper rash maybe twice in her one year of life.  The worst it ever got was related to food I think.  Yes it has been difficult at times and I won't lie-I've slacked more than once and used disposables when diapers weren't washed.  This has saved me money, which was a secondary bonus, and eased my conscience!  Never mind how stinkin cute baby bums look in big squishy cloth diapers, as evidenced by the above photos!                              

The reason I am writing this now is because I am even more in love with Bum Genius due to their customer service.  The velcro laundry tabs can wear out and need replaced.  This company has two options-they will send you replacement tabs for free and you can sew them on OR if you're within the year warranty you can send back your covers and they will send you NEW ones!!  Are you kidding me???  How great, brand-spanking new shiny covers!  Wow....  Is it sad that the idea of new diaper covers makes me smile from ear to ear?  What can I say?  I'm a mom, in love with the product and Elle's bum too :)  I encourage all mamas to try cloth diapers, I guarantee you'll wanna blog about it too!












1 comment:

  1. lovely pictures! we love BG in our house too. what we love even more though is fitteds+covers combos. kissaluvs+thirsties, specifically.

    ReplyDelete