The kids really enjoyed seeing their dad! They all spent an entire day together while Mimi was at work and I had some nice mommy time with friends in Columbus! Then Matt took Eleanor ice skating, although I don't think she really like it. Mom went down from her office and said she was scared and wanted nothing to do with it. Which is too bad since Matt bought her a pair of really nice skates. Hopefully one day she will like it considering there are two really nice ice rinks close by.
Christmas Eve was a relaxing day for me. I got a nap for work while mom, the kids and Matt went to the mall for some play time and Santa time! We threw together a gourmet meal of macaroni and cheese and hot dogs for dinner! We had very little time to prepare a meal because we went to church then I had to get ready for work AND make an appetizer for a potluck! It was perfect, regardless of what we ate because we were all together!
When I came home from work on Christmas morning everyone was still in bed. I scooped up an unwilling Eleanor and took her into the living room. She must have still been half asleep because she was not happy to be getting out of bed, not even at the mention of Santa! However, when her little eyes landed on the heap of presents under the tree she knew just what to do! She kept saying "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" Cutest line of Christmas came from her "Oh my gosh, I got a BAG!!" Had I know all I had to do was get gift bags and she would have been happy, my Am-Ex would have been less hot! She was overwhelmed by the whole exprience though. She would open one, then take it to me or Bubby and want it opened, completely unimpressed with any other unwrapped gem! We had to coax her to open the rest! At one point she took a doll and walked completely away from us, went under the table and played. Then I hit a magic button. She is obsessed with Ariel and Mimi found a shell necklace with Ariel's voice singing, just like the movie. When I hit that button I heard a sharp inhale, heard a few little pitter patter steps then saw her completely wipe out on the turn! She quickly recovered and came running over to see what it was. That necklace went off for hours! Joney was just happy to sit in the paper and throw it about! He did love his cars and trucks though, such a boy. After a quick breakfast, I was off to bed. Matt came over and another round of presents and playing ensued. The kids love all their new toys and I'm so excited to make them a great playroom!
Monday brought the Robbes, more presents and Stan Hywet Hall. I absolutely love Stan Hywet Hall. It is amazingly beautiful, every inch of the house was planned and loved. It is the historical family home of the Seiberlings, owners of Goodyear Tire and Rubber from way back in Akron's hey day. It was beautifully decorated inside and out for Christmas. We took the tour inside, then wrapped the kids in blankets and walked around the gardens. The trees, lights, toys, everything were breathtaking! Everyone was so proud of the little ones too. They were well behaved and even Eleanor kept her sticky little hands to her self!
Finally we celebrated Christma with the Dunbar-Murray clan! The kids love getting together with their cousins and this year we had two extra. Derek's girlfriend Michelle brought her two kids, Daelynn and Dilan. We opened more presents, ate more cookies, chowed down Kathy's lasagna and played Pictionary Man while the younger kids (unknowingly, sorry Nana) tore up the upstairs of the house, including ripping down some of Kathy's clothes in her closet! Oops... Have I mentioned that I love family and being all together? Well...I do!
To help Eleanor sleep, I've started reading the Bible to her at night. She likes me in her room longer and when I read anything to her, I like that she hears the word of God just before she drifts off to sleep. The day after Christmas I started with Matthew and my heart melted when she was excited to hear about the birth of Jesus. Such a little angel, I love this girl in so many ways, for so many reasons!
I also love the joy on my kids' faces when they open fun things. They were both so thankful and sweet. It's my joy to give to them. I'm working on some new traditions for next year to make it even more special! I won't say I'm looking forward to next Christmas, that would be crazy given that this one is just finished...but I'm certainly thinking it!!
















No comments:
Post a Comment