Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cake Decorating

Every Tuesday for the last four weeks my mom and I have been taking a cake decorating class at Michael's.  I absolutely love it!  Who knew???  We originally started because we thought we could make the cake for my sister's baby shower better than anyone else cook.  Plus, we thought it would be fun.  Now, we KNOW we can make it and we KNOW it's fun!  I have some issues that I need to work on such as spacing and writing but overall I think I've done a pretty good job.  What do you think?

Week 1


This is the cake I did for two of my mom's bosses' birthdays.  See how the writing is slanted....oops!


Week 2

I made this cake for Mom and John because they are going to the Florida Keys in a week or so.  Our task for the week was to practice with stars.  Again with the slanty writing...ugh....will I ever get it??  But I think the shell border looks pretty good!




Week 3


We were supposed to do roses to put on our cakes this week but I had other ideas.  Although I did practice roses they didn't make on this cake.  I don't think the Marines in Matt's office would appreciate the beauty of a semi-perfectly formed icing rose!  I really liked this cake, and so did they!





Week 4


Today, our final day of Course 1, we practiced the rose again and learned some new flowers.  I'm really proud of this cake.  I could easily pick it apart and tell you what's wrong with it and why it isn't good enough but I won't.  I will just proudly show the pictures of my first rose cake and smile :)







Course 2 starts next week and I can't wait.  We'll be learning more flowers.  Each week we learn, make and keep new ones to put on a finale cake!  I'll take pictures of the flowers along the way then of the final cake, of course!  I think I could really get into this.  If anyone needs a cake, let me know.  Oh-and they taste waaaay better than they look!

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the cakes! I think the last one is my favorite. Now that I know buttercream has lard in it, it makes my stomach turn. I will never look at icing the same way again!

    ReplyDelete