This is Kelly's birth story from my vantage point. I, in no way, can even pretend to know what it must have been like for her. Although, I know the feeling of true love when you first lay your eyes on your sweet baby. I know nothing of labor, contractions or pushing! No, this is not a documentary but it does go into some detail. So, here it goes...
Friday morning, around 11 or so, Kelly calls me and tells me she is having some bleeding after going to the bathroom and cramping. I advise her to call her doctor, even though she was already scheduled for an appointment at noon. She calls and is told to come in at noon. Upon arriving at the office, they tell her to go to the hospital and get checked out. At this point she is getting a little anxious. I was chomping at the bits to get in the car and come on down! But she said to wait, so I waited....and waited....and waited....for what seemed like an eternity. Truth: it was only a few hours before we were on the road.
Kelly gets to triage at the labor and delivery unit and I'm ready to hear some news that it's Teddy Time. Well...she is 2-3 cm dilated and told to walk. So, she walks. At this time her contractions are getting a little stronger and closer together. After almost an hour of walking she is checked again-no progress! They decide if her fluid levels are good she can go home to labor, exactly what she wanted! Luckily her fluid levels were great and off they go. And off my mom, Eleanor and I go!
Home is where the magic begins to happen! Kelly's labor progresses and she is doing great. Her doula, Shakira, gets to her house around six. Mom and I are so excited to get to her we stop once at a drive-through and I hop out to use the bathroom while mom gets the food! Finally we get there around 7:30. I find Kelly in bed on her side, Shakira beside her and Nick laying in bed with her. Nick is reading calmly to her and Shakira is close to her, holding her hand. Kelly is breathing through a surge. Once it's over, she says hi and Elenaor climbs up on the bed. They say it's time to go. I am trying so hard to keep E quiet as Kelly labors. The atmosphere is so calm and quiet. It's impressive how well Kel is working through the surges. Over the next half hour they make their way downstairs and Kelly, Nick, Mom and Shakira get in the car and head back to the hospital. I stay back with Eleanor, feeling sadly left out! Luckily Tracy is coming over later in the evening to stay with Eleanor so I can go to the hospital.
At the hospital, Kelly is checked in and put in a room. She is 7-8 cm dilated! I check in a few times with my mom until I get there around 11:45. It wasn't long after I got there that it's time for her to push. My mom and I were sitting as quietly as possible, just watching and ready to lend a hand if needed. My dad and Kathy were anxiously awaiting updates in the waiting room. I stepped out and gave them the update that she would be pushing soon. They were so excited too! Kelly was on her hands and knees, Shakira at the head of the bed and Nick at her side. Again, it was so calm, almost serene even. The nurse and eventually doctor were so willing to help Kelly have the birth she wanted. The five of them were a perfect team. Kelly cries out a few times and is ready to meet her son. She pushed for only 31 minutes. The doctor was out of the room so the nurse delivered his head and suctioned him. When the doctor came in, she calmly and expertly turned his little shoulders, removed the cord from his neck and flopped him on the bed. I remember thinking "Hey! Be careful with my nephew lady!" But he was perfect. Kelly was still in delivery mode and had to be told to turn around and see her baby. She flipped over and Teddy was placed on her chest. It was beautiful. After a few wipes with a towel, Teddy goes straight to nurse. He stayed with his mommy, skin to skin, for almost two hours.
Mom and I left the hospital around 2:30 am. Dad and Kathy came in to meet Theodore John. Dad was so touched that they named their son after him and our step-dad! Nick, the proud daddy, was holding his son. Kelly wasn't feeling well and needed some medication so Nick was happy to finally get his arms around his new little boy. I was sad to leave but so tired. I could have watched forever, just seeing the new family bond! I got home and fell into bed only to be woken up at 7am by my little peanut. I was happy to get up with her though, I missed her after seeing Kelly, the mommy, hold her baby!
Words cannot describe how impressed I am with Kelly, Nick and Shakira. Each one of them had a specific role and were amazing. Shakira and Nick knew just what Kelly needed. They supported her and calmed her and helped her have the birth she wanted. Kelly drew strength from their strength and from within. I never doubted that she could do it. I just never knew it would be so absolutely textbook perfect! So many outside factors can influence what happens. But Teddy's birth was just what Kelly had imagined it to be. I am so grateful that she had this experience.
Is there any image sweeter than a mom holding her new baby? I think not.

mis. u are amazing. thank u for the awesome and perfectly written account of my great nephew being brought into the world.(i didn't comment on ur blog about elle, but trust me i read it over and over and was very impressed.... felt like i was there.) ur account is tasteful, beautiful and perfect just like teddy. the intense bond between u and kel is abundantly clear and overwhelming. i am VERY proud of u and.... of course kel.(and nick too) love u guys. see u soon. xo
ReplyDelete